Private Applicator Recordkeeping Requirements

Private Applicator Recordkeeping Requirements

Private applicators must record their restricted use pesticide (RUP) applications, as required by the Food, Agriculture, Conservation and Trade (FACT) Act of 1990. The USDA Agricultural Marketing Service administers this activity.

In Nebraska, RUP application records must be maintained for three years from the date of application. The certified pesticide applicator should retain these RUP records, and must also be able to make them accessible for copying by authorized representatives.

RUP application records may be handwritten on individual notes or forms, consist of invoices, be computerized, and/or maintained in recordkeeping books.

Private Record Keeping Form (PDF 61 KB) — This form can be printed and used by private applicators to keep records of RUP and GUP applications.

Your records must include: 

  • Brand/product name
  • EPA registration number
  • Total amount of RUP applied
  • Crop/site treated
  • Field location
  • Acres treated
  • Application date
  • Name of certified applicator
  • Certification number 

These regulations define a private applicator as a certified applicator that is applying an RUP for agricultural production.

Treating a house or other building with a RUP for non-agricultural purposes (for example, termiticide application) is not considered agricultural production and would not require a record under these regulations.  

Spot applications (total area of less than 1/10 acre) at agricultural sites must be recorded in the same manner as any other RUP application. Designate the treatment as a "spot application", and provide a concise description of the location and treatment areas. Examples include: spot application, noxious weeds in fields 5 & 6; or spot application, weeds next to the silo.

A commercial applicator must, within 30 days of a RUP application, provide a copy of the required records to the person for whom the RUP was applied. However, certified commercial applicators can hold these RUP application records for their clients as long as the client has signed a statement recognizing the commercial applicator as the record holder. Commercial applicators should provide their clients with a copy of the signed statement, make these records available to their clients upon request, and maintain separate records for each client.

The brand name, formulation and EPA registration number for many RUPs used in Nebraska are listed in the following tables. If you use an RUP that is not listed, add the brand/product name, formulation and registration number to the table. Check the pesticide label or ask your dealer for this information.